North Yorkshire Moors Railway NYMR
The 18-mile (29 km) railway is the second-longest heritage line in the United Kingdom and runs across the North York Moors from Pickering via Levisham, Newton Dale and Goathland to Grosmont.
It is the middle section of the former Whitby, Pickering, Malton to York line which was closed in 1965 joining the Scarborough to York Railway Station at Rillington. At Grosmont it joins the railway from Whitby Railway Station to Middlesborough.
The NYMR is owned by the North York Moors Historical Railway Trust Ltd.
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway was first opened in 1836 as the Whitby and Pickering Railway.
The railway was planned in 1831 by George Stephenson as a means of opening up trade routes inland from the then important seaport of Whitby. The initial railway was designed and built to be used by horse-drawn carriages.
Now a major tourist destination for both steam enthusiasts and day trippers alike.